T-35 Cracks, linkage...

Mechanical linkage is supposed to be a pain to adjust correctly. It also is
affected by "body Roll" as you go around corners or hit bumps. (the linkage
moves with the body, thereby moving your clutch in and out...PITB)  The
cable linkage is probably a bit better, but the Hydraulic seems to take
care of both problems.  The only thing I have to do is make sure my exhaust
doesn't kill the slave cylinder Like I have heard happen before...I will
make some kind of heat shield once the tranny is in place and everything
works properly.

As for the crack, I am pretty certain it is NOT some kind of a defect or
result from wear.  Judging from where this particular tranny came from, It
was probably dropped from a hoist or something catastrophic like that.  I
wouldn't rush out and look for this problem....The case is INCREDIBLY heavy
and well built...(one of the reasons why I went with the T-35 in the first
place)

It isn't an overdrive, by the way...it has the widest (and therefore the
LOWEST) gear ratio spread of the three models. I also found out mine was
old enough to have the 1st/reverse gear work by actually sliding the
mainshaft gear back and forth off of the countershaft and idler....Later
models used a sliding clutch between TWO gears, instead of one really big
one.  INterestingly, it is because of the idler shaft that reverses the
direction of the mainshaft that the reverse gearing is slightly faster than
1st gear forward.  Most of the other 4 speed trannies go even slower in
reverse...

I have already found a donor casing that is in perfect shape to swap the
gearsets to....

Jason and Maria Colavecchia
1979 IH Scout II,  V304, modifications ongoing
1969 IH 1210D Travelall 3/4 ton, V345,  restoring slowly