Lifter replacement

The IH shop manual, on the same page, has both lifter and camshaft tests.  They don't "connect" the two in any way, that is, they don't say "if you replaced the X then you should replace the Y," either way.

So it isn't the WORST thing you could do to replace lifters and not the cam, which is good, because I replaced two of mine.  And the 100K cam has gone something like 12K miles with no apparent nastyness.

I would suspect, once again, that IH parts are much harder than Chevy parts- and we know the valve springs are pretty gentle--.  Nonetheless, Tom H.'s observation is right on.

I didn't read your teardown too closely.  Is the block out of the truck?  Is the front torn apart?  Or are you just messing with the valve train?  In fact, I am not even sure if it was a 4 or an 8, I think it was a 4.

Furthermore, are you planning for this truck to be your main squeeze, or are you just like, dating to see if something serious develops from this initial attraction?

Lifters are like, $6.  On a 4cyl, that's $48.  Camshafts are like 300 beans.  Are you sure the rest of the engine is good before you blow camshaft money, and even if it is, are you sure you won't want to swap to a V8 sometime anyway?   Etc, etc.

Just my thoughts.

**In Use**
'70 1200D 4x4 Travelette 392 4spd
'73 1210 Wagonmaster, 392 auto