Re: Has any one tried this?

John,

I'm glad to see great minds think alike. This was exactly the conclusion I
came to.  Doug, to see more info on the pertronix system, go to
http://members.aol.com/slarsonih/scouts.htm
and click on the Pertronix link.

<<Would I Buy and install the same system again?  Yes, but I'd have much
lowered expectations as to what the results would be and wouldn't swayed by
the Jacobs sales hype!  Personally I don't think you *need* to spend your
money on a Jacobs or and MSD system.  Come to think of it, if I were to do
it again, I'd spend my money as follows... First completely refurbish
(disassemble, clean and lubricate, reassemble) a point type distributor so
it's in top mechanical condition (or trade your in for a rebuilt unit with
a lifetime warrantee at a local chain auto parts store).  Into that
distributor, buy and install a Pertronix solid state "Ignitor" conversion.
This device replaces the points and condenser inside the distributor with
an electronic ignition module.  Buy and install an MSD Blaster coil and any
high quality 8+ mm plug wires and platinum spark plugs.  Carry a set of
points and a condenser in the glove box.  With such a system you'd have the
consistency and durability of an electronic ignition system plus backup
redundancy if needed.  That system would be more than adequate for an
otherwise stock IH engine.  To top it off, I've never heard of a Pertronix
Ignitor failing (I have heard of MSD, Jacobs and Crane systems failing),
but if it did, you could pop the breaker-points and condenser back in and
be on your way again.  Although they are neat to have, and offer some
benefits you don't *need* multiple sparks.>>

STeve