Re: Engine mods

Nick Cuskey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've had my truck for 5 months now and couldn't be happier.  I havn't
> had it looked at by a mechanic, and she's running like a champ.  It's
> just the thought that I could be driving not knowing about something,
> and damaging my truck.  I'm the most mechanically idiotic person out
> there, and was wondering if you all could help.  Things that I'm looking
>
> for are at home, general (read: easy) tune-ups and modifications that
> will increase performance and/or gas milage and/or engine life.  Just
> basic stuff to know about, plus any of your own tips and tricks that I'm
>
> sure can help everybody!
>
> Thanks alot,
>
> Nick Cuskey
> '77, 345, 3spd auto, dual exhaust, glasspacks, something wrong (always
> is!), ect...
>
> P.S.  Some things that I do know are wrong are:
>
> 4 belts are cracked through.
>
> Radiator looses ALOT of water day in day out.
>
> I use maybe a pint of power steering fluid in a week.
>
> The engine leaks oil (valve cover gaskets?).
>
> This one's hard to explain, but here it goes.  She skips a beat/lurches
> forward, then picks up the pace again.  This mostly happens when the
> engine is cold.  It's almost like the engine stops for a second, then
> starts.  The squeeking of the belts even stops for a second!

What gives?  First I have to deal with this Dugan guy trying to outdo
me.  And now I have to listen to Cluskey try to move in on my
territory!!!
Look, none of you out there are even in a league with me when it comes
to being mechanically idiotic.  I have perfected the art form.  Look it
up in the glossary in the Chilton's Manual-any edition, and you can see
what I look like!  Don't even imagine yourself idiotic until I come out
with my book on the subject, and then you will feel like the pit crew
chief for Jeff Gordon or Alex Zanardi when you compare yourself to me!
I'm so bad that if I give you advice your engine will usually seize
before you start working on it!  When I enter a used car lot or
junkyard, all the cars start moving the other way!
So anyway, don't feel too bad about your mechanical incompetency,
because there is always someone who is worse-namely, me!!!
Sorry to get so emotional about this, but until I have my "Uglypalooza
Festival" Scout showdown with Fleck, my idiocy is the only identity I
have on this digest!

Michael