Engine mods

Hi all,

I've had my truck for 5 months now and couldn't be happier.  I havn't
had it looked at by a mechanic, and she's running like a champ.  It's
just the thought that I could be driving not knowing about something,
and damaging my truck.  I'm the most mechanically idiotic person out
there, and was wondering if you all could help.  Things that I'm looking

for are at home, general (read: easy) tune-ups and modifications that
will increase performance and/or gas milage and/or engine life.  Just
basic stuff to know about, plus any of your own tips and tricks that I'm

sure can help everybody!

Thanks alot,

Nick Cuskey
'77, 345, 3spd auto, dual exhaust, glasspacks, something wrong (always
is!), ect...

P.S.  Some things that I do know are wrong are:

4 belts are cracked through.

Radiator looses ALOT of water day in day out.

I use maybe a pint of power steering fluid in a week.

The engine leaks oil (valve cover gaskets?).

This one's hard to explain, but here it goes.  She skips a beat/lurches
forward, then picks up the pace again.  This mostly happens when the
engine is cold.  It's almost like the engine stops for a second, then
starts.  The squeeking of the belts even stops for a second!