Anything Scout Discoveries

Folks of the Digest (my gender non-specific greeting)-

Well, as any of you that read the digest know from Tom's entry
yesterday, we did indeed make the trip over to Anything Scout and took a
look around.  Yes, it was a IH lover's paradise, and yes there is a lot
of stuff that would be very valuable to many people that is probably
going to go to waste.  I just want to let you know the highlights of
what I saw and tell you that I am willing to do whatever I can to try to
save some of these parts.  If there is something that you can work out
with Jim between now and tomorrow, and I can in any way get it out of
there and put it some place until you can come to get it, I will.

Here's a list of the highlights for me.

EARLY 60's, late 50's T'all full body, though missing some trim and one
headlight assembly.  This one appears to be 2WD, but Bill that works
there has one converted to 4 WD and it is very cool.  Not exactly the
same as the later 60's style, though I'm very vague on the
differences-looks like it is still the 50's body style-similar to "gold
jubilee" model.

One very solid Scout 800 body-home-grown or cheap paint job, but very
straight/solid-no engine (I don't remember whether tranny was still
sitting in it or not).  4WD. White with red racing strip running up over
whole thing on driver's side.  Top cut in half.  4 Wheels still on it.

One 800 Scout body with no wheels, but a very clean straight body.  I
believe it had 4WD and was right-hand drive.  I'm not sure how to get
this out of there, but if someone can figure it out, I would help.

One '64 or so 3/4 ton PU 2WD.  Very faded paint, and driver's front
fender has been replaced and not very carefully.  Not lined up quite
right.  Front bumber is bent up as another PU has been pushed into it
for better storage spacing, but doesn't appear to be serious damage.
Supposedly runs well, with straight six.  3 or 4 speed floor shift.
Rust hole in driver's side floor, but floor around it seems solid.
Passenger window missing, driver's side window handle broken.  I asked
and he said he's take $600-I didn't try to barter any more than this,
but I know they are not into the trucks, and are not into the 6
cylinders.  I would love to get it, but room and money are very tight
right now.  I couldn't really crawl under it, but it seemed pretty
solid, restorable, though will need a lot of tlc.  If someone wants
this, I could probably park it for a little while, if it will make the
40 miles to my house.  I could also tow it to NWBR.

Multiple Traveler tops and 800 tops.

Hoods for 60's PU and one hood for 70's PU

Many Scout II doors

A couple of straight Terra bodies, though only one on wheels.  One had
what appeared to be a very well-cared for 4 cyl. in it, though it must
not have been too good or it wouldn't be used for parts now.  It was
also a 2WD

A couple of good bulkheads for Scout II Terras

As Tom said, there were tons of what appeared to be 727's- condition
unknown, but full housings with guts.  If you call Jim he may know if
they were supposedly runners or not.

With the number of junked vehicles, some even in decent shape, there are
probably any body parts for any year/model Scout, though getting them
off may present a time problem.

If anyone is interested in any of this stuff, I would strongly recommend
trying to call or e-mail today.  I believe that the gate is locked on
them Tuesday morning.  I know that they are going to be working the yard
today to try to save what they can.  I don't know if anyone will be in
the office or not, and if so, it will probably be hit or miss.  If we
had someone in the Bay Area with a lot, Tom H. and I would probably go
try to buy the whole lot and store it, but alas, we are not financial
titans and time is running short.
I am not in any way affiliated with Anything Scout, but just hate to
think of how much of this stuff is going to be lost forever if someone
doesn't get it.  It gives me that melancholy, almost mournful feeling
combined with a bit of helplessness to do anything about it.  With the
number of rusting out Scouts around the country, I hate to see all of
this good metal possibly go to waste.

Michael