Re: Engine mods

Nick,
   Power Steering leaks. Probable a leaking pump resivoir, or a hose, or
the bottom seal of the gear box. Check the hoses for cracks. Replace the
low pressure hose since it it cheap and easy. That is the one with the
hose clamps on it. Wash the engine off around the power steering and
look for where the leak is.
   The water leaks. Look alond the drivers side tank seam. This seam
tends to come apart if the body mounts are failing. There would be green
streaks here where the antifreeze is staining the radiator. Also look at
the lower hose for cracks.
   The valve covers. This is a fairly easy fix that anyone could do.
Pull the covers off and wash them in some kind of solvent. I use
gasoline. (I know I don't want to hear it) Then make sure the surface of
the cover is nice and smooth and even. Get all ot the old gasket
material off. To level the gasket surfae use a flat steel surface and a
ball pean hammer to level out the cover surface. Then use The Right
Stuff to make a new gasket. Follow the directions. Should work with no
problem. Oh, when you retightne the cover, just snug it down hand tight.
No more than 10 ft-lbs.

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided

   1979 Scout II 345, Auto, 3.07's, Lexan window's in TravelTop. One
Ugly and Trusty Truck!

1971 Scout II 304, D30/44, D20, power steering.