Re: heat, tires

An example of "Dan Nees" <cookiedan@domain.elided>'s troubled thought patterns:

>   I know this is a strange complaint, but; the heat in my 71 is just to
>hot. Is there any way to reduce the heat output? I put the heat lever in
>the in between spot, no help.

What happens if you turn the heat lever all the way off?  If you still are
getting hot air, then you need a new heater control valve.  They are a common
Ford type and cost no more than $13.00 - $15.00.  There is an internal rubber
seal in the valve that deteriorates over time and this prevents the coolant
from completely being shut off from the heater core.

>I put the air lever in the in between
>spot, no help.

The air lever is supposed to more or less completely shut off the incoming air
(heated or not) from the heater core.  If you move it all the way to the left,
the air should be blocked.  If this is not the case, then it could be broken
or out of adjustment.

>I never run the fan, I don't have to. I would like to do
>something, when I get done driving the truck I have these nice rosy
>cheeks, it's a little embarrassing.

I'm willing to bet your heater control valve is shot.

>   How does every one dismount tires? That is take the tire off the rim.
>Besides going to a tire store.

You mean to break the bead loose from the rim?

Here's the poor man's way I use...

You'll need a few tools and it ain't easy work!  You need a valve stem tool
and a minimum or two tire irons (three are better).  Valve stem tools are
available at most auto parts stores, but tire irons are scarce.  J.C. Whitney
has tire irons for reasonable prices.  If you don't mind scratching the hell
out of your rims, LARGE standard screw drivers can work in place of tire
irons.

First, take the tire off air let the air out by completely unscrewing and
removing the valve stem innards.  Next jack up another vehicle and set the
aired down tire (the one to be removed from the rim) under the tire of the
jacked up vehicle.  Lower the jack so that the tire of the lifted vehicle
presses down on the sidewall of the aired down tire.  The weight of the lifted
vehicle will force the sidewall off the bead.  Using the tire irons, you work
the bead up, over and off the rim (a pain).  Next the tire is flipped over,
and the process with the lifted vehicle and tire irons repeated until the tire
carcass is completely removed form the rim.

Bandage your knuckles.

Regards,

John

PS: Mounting them is a whole 'nother ordeal!
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)