Re: Cyberdyne Fuel Gauge

The black helicopters hovering over the house recorded
jmbrodsky@domain.elided whispering:

>     That sounds really good, but how many digits is the readout.
>I'd hate to think I have a gallon left, just when I round the
>corner 7 miles from home, then see the meter drop from 1 to 0
>gallons.

It's my understanding that it does in fact round the reading to the nearest
whole gallon (0,1,2,3...10,11,12,etc.).  Do you seriously drive around with
1 gallon in your tank???  At the kind of mileage an IH rig gets, I start to
sweat at the 1/4 tank level.  I have nightmarish visions of running out of
gas in the "hammer" lane on the freeway during rush hour.

You live a dangerous life Joel!

>I was planning to use electric pumps to purge
>one tank to the other.  When you get low, turn on the pump from
>the 40 gal, and fill up the 21 while driving.

Many fixed wing aircraft have this sort of arrangement.  The pilot can
transfer fuel between the wing tanks either by gravity or mechanically in
order to keep the weight balanced.  I've thought about this idea too.  I
was thinking it would be need to have a way to tap into several jerry cans
secured in the back of my Traveler.  Then I'd have a manually controlled
electric pump that would transfer fuel down to the main tank as I drove.
Would save from having to stop and refill the tank by hand.

Low on the project list though.

>Hmmm, Alaska?  With gas being so cheap, why not?<G>

Yeah... the 19 gallon (more like 21 gallon) stock tank on my Traveler
sucks!  But for one thing, I can't afford the $350.00 for the 33 gallon
tank, and it would interfere with my trailer hitch.

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)