Re: Thermostat

The black helicopters hovering over the house recorded
jmbrodsky@domain.elided whispering:

>     When your heaters are blowing warm, what does the temp read?
> Mine boils the rad at 5/8 scale.

My stock IH gauge (worthless!) points below the bar that supposed to be the
normal operating temperature all of the time when my engine is fully warmed
up.  My mechanical Autometer temp gauge shows the coolant temp to be right
about 180 degrees with a 180 degrees Stant Superstat thermostat.  On cold
days the temp may be a bit lower and likewise on warmer days it's a little
hotter, etc.

>     Still no heat, and I even had cardboard in front of the rad
>while idling rather high to try to heat it up.  The temp was
>almost half scale and still no heat.  The last time I saw the
>temp up that high, was after a wreck that emptied the radiator.

Have you removed your heater control valve and looked through it to see
that it's working?  There is a rubber seal inside the valve that does
deteriorate and possibly it's causing a problem.

Are you sure your heater hoses aren't malfunctioning (are not collapsed)?
It's possible that hot coolant isn't flowing through the heater core
because of a hose or valve problem.  Are the heater hoses getting hot?

>     I hope I can find a 165, if not then a 180.  Thanks
>everyone.

It's got to be something plugging something!  Your stock IH gage... as
pathetic as it is... is telling you that the engine *is* getting hot.  If
you aren't getting heat out of the heater, then the engine and thermostat
aren't the problem.  It's something to do with the heater core or the
coolant circulation to it.

Good luck,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)