Re: Shackle bushings

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 hofs@domain.elided wrote:

> >Since I'm replacing the springs, getting the old bushings out is not a
> >problem.. but what about the shackle to frame bushings?  Are those going
> >to be a problem for me?  Do I need to use a torch, or the "bolt n'
> >washer' home made press?
>
> Tom, I hate using a torch in that situation. I suggest bolt, nut,
> washers, and sockets. I put in polys a few months ago, and pressing out
> the old bushings was easy once I found the right combination. If you

I need to go measure what size washer I need.  Joel suggested using a
1/2-->1/4" pipe reducer since it holds up better to the stress.  I'll be
buying a couple Grade 8 bolts for the task, and yep.. Impact wrench!  I
hope it goes well.. that's the only potential "hangup" (aside from stuck
bolts) on the install.

> Whose kit has Heckerthorn shocks and are they supposed to be cream of the
> crop now?

When I bought my 4" Skyjacker Softride kit from Rocky Mountain Suspension
($490) it did not include shocks.. I was told I could get the
Heckethorn/Rough Country ES8000 shocks, or the Skyjacker Hyrdos.

The sales guy I spoke with recommended the Heckethorn over the
Skyjackers, primarily because of the metal "tang" that holds the shock
boot on (turns out to be a regular hose clamp).

I didn't have a preference either way.. so I took the Heckethorns.  I'll
let everyone know how they "feel".. it any manner, it'll be much better
than my shot stock shocks, and worn out bushings that look like they
could let the springs slide back and forth!

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout II - 4" Skyjacker in the garage.