Re: '64 1210 Crew Cab 4X4

>I have found a sharp, no dents or rust, 1964 IH 1210 Crew Cab 4x4 and have a
>couple of questions.
ARRGHHH!!!  Why not me??

>1. I noticed the wheels were six lug, but they don't seem to be any bolt
>pattern that is still in production
This would probably be on the FAQ if anybody had a good answer!
They are a weird bolt pattern, but at least look way cool with those
huge lug nuts.  Find another tire shop.

>2. It has the clutch and brake master cylinders built together.  Are there any
>parts to repair these things when it breaks?
Not sure about local availablity, fer sure any of the antique brake rebuilders
in Hemmings could fix you up, but probably expensively.
However, any '67 and '68 parts truck has a bolt-on replacement which
has separate clutch/brake cylinders, Plus #1 is that the brake system is dual, very
recommended if you want to drive it regularly.   Plus #2 is that they
use a conventional vacuum assist on the power brakes, not the downstream
one that would be used with your setup.
And I was able to get a clutch master cylinder from Navistar themselves
just 2 or 3 years ago, for a h&ll of a lot cheaper than one for my '80 J**p.
This was interesting because IH went to a mechanical clutch linkage
in '69, so they must have used the same cylinder on bigger trucks (it sure
looks like it).

>3. None of the gauges work and the turn signals work without the ignition
>being on.  Is this a really screwed up electrical system, or just typical IH
>wiring as in the Scouts?
Turn signals are always "live."  The gauges are probably a series of
little things, grounds and fuses and senders.  All the lights were out on
my Travellette dash, so I thought it was a major wiring deal.  It turned out
that every light had its own little individual problem.

>4. All this needs is a paint job, and maybe power steering and disc brakes:-),
>to be a great truck.  What do you think it would be worth?
Disc brakes will be a problem with the 6-bolt wheels.  The big drums properly
maintained with a power booster actually can probably stop a freight train,
(if they don't get wet <g>) but modulation is *not* the best..

Power steering would also be almost impossible *if* you wanted an original type.
Those trucks used a power ram system like the big trucks, and I've never
seen one. They went to a normal system in 1968, but again, hard to find.
However,  you can probably swap from a '69 to '73 and maybe '74-'75 truck.
Use the newer column if you can stand the way it looks, if not a
 '68 column can be joined to it so you wouldn't have to find a '68 with ps.

They're cool trucks but nobody wants them, so it should be cheap.   I'd start
at $1000, maybe even lower.  If you pay 2x that much you'll still be doing great,
though, if the metal is as good as you say.  There's always an IH guy willing
to buy one in that price range, if you don't de-orginalize it too much (or too
permanently), so it's not a huge risk.  It doesn't have the options
(the biggies are A/C and a 5spd) that take it to the next level in value, though,
so if you put a $5K custom paint job on it don't expect to get it back!
OTOH, having those options shrinks the number of people who are
willing/able to give you what it's worth if you need to dump it,
as one unfortunate list member can probably testify to.

'67 1000B step-side p/up  BG241 + 4spd
'70 1200D 4x4 Travelette 392 4spd
'71 1010 Travelall  392 auto
'73 1210 Wagonmaster, 392 auto