Re: IH Western Regionals, Patriot Scout

The black helicopters hovering over the house recorded
jmbrodsky@domain.elided whispering:

>        Just made my reservation for the Tualre event.  Who else plans
>     on going?  Maybe we could get the digesters together one night for
>     dinner?  I'd love to get a look at all the mods that have been
>     discussed at length on the digest.  I'm still trying to find an
>     event list, for the games, etc.

I'm going to be there come hell or high water... err... well maybe not
hell!

What a few of us did at the NW Binder's Roundup up here in Washington state
was to wear name tags and place signs in our window indicating that we are
members of the IHC Digest.  This worked well.

>        John L, so am I to understand that the '76 Traveler was called
>     the Patriot, and the '76 Scout II called the Spirit?  If that is
>     the case then my scout was the Spirit.  Though it was re-painted
>     blue by owner number two (I'm #3), in the door wells, you can still
>     see the red and blue stripes.  I saw another II with the stripes in
>     Phoenix, and took alot of pics.  I'm planning on going back to the
>     white, though the body is somewhat showing it's age and wear.

Yes and no... As I under stand it (from talking to Howard Pletcher and
reading books) that in 1976 *some* 100" WB Scouts and 118" WB Travelers
were so decorated.  A 1976 100" WB Scout with a winter white paint job, red
and blue appliques, sport steering wheel, wedgewood blue interior, blue
denim soft top, and factory roll bar (among possibly other options) is
called the "Spirit."  If the same has a hard top instead of the soft top,
it's a "Patriot."  The Traveler is also known as a "Patriot" because of the
hard top.

Supposedly, if a 100" WB Scout is a true "Spirit", it will have the words
"Spirit 76" handwritten on the line setting ticket and the applique option
code 10876 on the line setting ticket.  Information has been circulated
around (I think originally researched by Howard) that 384 authentic 100" WB
"Spirits" were manufactured, along with 50 each 100" WB "Patriots", 7 each
Traveler "Patriots" and 1 each "Patriot" Terra.  This information may be
off to some degree, but Howard would be the one to comment on it's
reliability.

In my case, my Patriot Traveler lacks any such code number "10876" on the
line setting ticket, but in all other ways it appears to comply with the
description of a Patriot.  Howard had once explained to me that in many
cases vehicles were built at the Ft. Wayne production factory and then
moved down the street to a sort of shipment preparation facility (sorry,
forgot the official name) where appliques were many times applied.  So it
could be that my Traveler was finished up there and in that case the line
setting ticket wouldn't reflect the Patriot stripes.  So I'm not exactly
sure what to think, but I know my Traveler was not modified by the owners
after it was purchased.  I believe Howard indicated that maybe in the range
500 vehicles may have been "decorated" at the shipment facility in the
Spirit or Patriot models.

So in either case these models are rare.  I plan a complete body
restoration of my Traveler at some point, and have discovered that new
reproduction Spirit / Patriot stripes are available through Scout Madness
for about $225.00.

Take care,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |    1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot"
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |