Re: AC Compressor repairs

>Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 23:04:35 GMT
>From: jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
>Subject: Re: AC Compressor repairs

>As usual, I sort of wound up answering my own question... on the bearing part
>anyway.  Using the instructions in the IH shop manual, I was able to
>disassemble the magnetic clutch and tap out the old bearing.

John,  This sounds similar to a repair I had to make on the Cub Cadet 1250
last winter.  The PTO setup on the front of the engine is an electric
clutch, just like an A/C compressor clutch.  The bearing went bad [until
after the repair I didn't know how to get in there and lubricate a
"permanently lubricated" bearing"] and had to be replaced.  The IH parts
book shows the clutch assembly as a one or two piece replacement starting
around $85 or $150 depending on the serial no. range.  Since all I wanted
was to replace the bearing, I ground off the three dimples with a dremel
tool and got a bearing for about $7 off the shelf at a local auto parts.  It
worked fine all summer.  I guess that I need to figure out a lubrication
schedule.  Any recommendations on what to use?

I got to push snow with the tractor last night; first time this winter.
There was only about four inches so I really didn't have to but it is just
too much fun to pass up.

Mike

jmdaugh@domain.elided