Re: AC Compressor repairs

"Allan Weidenheimer" <allanw@domain.elided> scribbled in the sand:

>In the Feb 98 Mustang Monthly magazine, there is a neat
>pictorial guide on rebuilding the York compressor.  It is
>(obviously) aimed at older Mustangs, since they used
>York compressors,
[snip]

Thanks Allan,

As usual, I sort of wound up answering my own question... on the bearing part
anyway.  Using the instructions in the IH shop manual, I was able to
disassemble the magnetic clutch and tap out the old bearing.  The bearing
doesn't look too sophisticated but is a pretty good size.  It has the markings
"Nachi" and "30BGS1-2NSL".  A brief search of the web revealed a bearing
company called Nachi America, Inc. where I found a listing of their automotive
bearings.

See (http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/nachiamerica/auto.htm

Anyway, right there is my bearing listed as being used by Chrysler.  The
dimensions listed in mm's fit perfectly.  So Monday I plan to call the west
coast Nachi office and get the names of distributors in the greater Seattle
area.  I'm hoping they have one of the local Tacoma bearing supply houses
stocking it for *cheap*.  We'll see.  With luck, my air compressor should be
back in business in a few days.

Thanks for the suggestion,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |