Re: ihc-digest V5 #114 Electric power Scout

Sorry, I just couldn't resist commenting on this.  Electric batteries
weighing about 1000 lbs can usefully store the equivalent of 2 gallons of
gas.  I just don't see the point to this conversion.  How far is this
going to go in a scout?  This ground has been plowed thousands of times.
Why won't this battery idea just die.

Does he have a clue what power steering and brakes, not to mention
headlights, heater and windshield wiper will do to his range.  Did you
ever notice the bright hopefull news pieces about battery cars are always
shot in southern CA in daylight with dead level streets.

BTW it will weigh the same as the Scout originally did.  Does he think he
don't need the power steering???  I drove mine about 2 blocks without it a
few weeks ago.  Won't do that again.

Can you stop him before he publicly embarrases himself?

Sort of reminds me of the Fish carburetor.  Remember that one John H.?
It was the carb that guaranteed 100 mpg and was bought and hidden by the
big oil companies so they wouldn't lse money.

You won't believe it but grown up people who are reasonably intelligent
otherwise, actually believe this and talk about it in public.  Battery
operated cars are in the same fantasy land.  Doesn't matter what the CA
govt says either.  They *can't* revoke the laws of physics.

Yes, I've investigated this sillyness professionally.  The solar heating
isn't much better.

OK.  I'm better now.  Sorry 'bout that!

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776