Re: No HEAT!!!

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:33:26 +0000, joebobhunter@domain.elided (Joe Bob Hunter)
wrote:

>Having just put my hard top back on (day after Thanksgiving) and the
>weather outside getting frightful, I now need some heat...Replaced heater
>core and some heater lines and took of the flow regulater ( don't know if
>that's the correct term of not) and made sure it was open  and free and
>clear.

You must mean the flow control valve?  Is this the valve that attaches to
the push-pull cable leading to the dash control?

>put it all back together and started driving, and have driven for
>two weeks now and still NO heat....I pulled the hoses of the core and
>yep, theres water and coolant in there....what have I missed?

Did you check to see that the heater core is getting hot?  Try this - With
the flow control valve fully open (or completely removed) make sure your
engine is completely warmed up.  With the engine running *feel* the heater
hoses right at the heater core.  Are they *very* hot?  If not, you make
still have something blocking the coolant flow.  Just because there is
coolant present in the lines doesn't mean you have adequate flow.

If you do in fact find the heater hoses very hot (which leads to the
conclusion that you have sufficient flow through the heater core), then the
only thing I can think of is that the flow of *air* is being blocked
leading into the vehicle.  There is a sort of flapper valve just inside the
lower part of the blower housing that's controlled by a push-pull cable
attached to the dash controls.  It allows you to control the amount of
fresh air entering the heater duct system and operates independently from
the blower speed or defroster duct settings.  When this flapper is closed,
it almost completely prevents air from flowing through the heater core and
into the vehicle.

Possibly your flapper valve is closed tightly and the push-pull cable is
mis-adjusted or broken... or maybe you simply have the control in the wrong
position?  If the flapper is fine, maybe some nocturnal critter built a
nice comfy nest in there?  You can easily inspect this area of the duct
work by removing the heater duct from under the dash and looking up inside
the exposed passageway under the blower housing.

Have fun,

John

jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |