Re: 4 Speed Ratios

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997 07:36:42 -0700 "Abrusci, Mike (NM75)"
<mike.abrusci@domain.elided> writes:
>I am going to replace my intake manifold gasket this weekend and they
>sold me a metal one and FelPro says to use goop. Is this right?
>
>How can I find out which 4 speed tranny I have the wide or regular?

I see 3 ways of determining which you have.

1.  Get a lineset ticket.  Wide ratio is code 13427--T-19.  Close ratio
is code 13428--T-19A.  (This assumes your transmission is still the
original one.)

2.  Jack up rear end.  Put a mark on the driveshaft and put transmission
in low.  Use a socket on the nut on the crankshaft pulley and turn the
engine over.  Engine will make 4.02 revs to one on the driveshaft with a
close ratio;6.32 to 1 for a wide ratio.

3.  Pull the trans cover and look at the rear of the transmission cover.
I know that there is a large cast T-18 or T-19 to distinguish the two
models;I've heard that the close ratio has T-19A on it, but I haven't
seen it in person.  Perhaps someone that has a loose T-19A can verify if
this is so or not.

I assume that you're talking about a '75 or later Scout.  If you've got
an earlier one, you have a close ratio T-18C as there were no wide ratio
T-18's used by IH (again assuming someone hasn't made a swap.)

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts