Re: Removing Rear Brake Drums

One trick I've used to get rear drums off when they are rusted to the
center hub is to jack up the rear and remove the wheels.  Then start the
engine and run the axle up to about 25 mph in high, depress the clutch,
and stab the brakes.  Repeat this in reverse and repeat the whole cycle
several times.  After several cycles, you should hear the clunk as the
studs move slighly in their holes.  If this is happening, you'll soon
have the center loose enough to pull the drum off.

This has not always worked and I've had to rent a puller to get the drums
off, but generally it has.  Obviously, this is of no help if your drums
are worn deep enough that the ridge catches on the brake shoes as you try
to pull them off.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts