Re: 4 Speed Ratios--Correction

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997 23:23:17 EST n9ads@domain.elided (Howard R Pletcher)
writes:

>I see 3 ways of determining which you have.
>
>1.  Get a lineset ticket.  Wide ratio is code 13427--T-19.  Close
>ratio is code 13428--T-19A.  (This assumes your transmission is still
>the original one.)
>
>2.  Jack up rear end.  Put a mark on the driveshaft and put
>transmission in low.  Use a socket on the nut on the crankshaft pulley
>and turn the engine over.  Engine will make 4.02 revs to one on the
>driveshaft with a close ratio;6.32 to 1 for a wide ratio.
>
>3.  Pull the trans cover and look at the rear of the transmission
>cover.  I know that there is a large cast T-18 or T-19 to distinguish
>the two models;I've heard that the close ratio has T-19A on it, but I
>haven't seen it in person.  Perhaps someone that has a loose T-19A can
>verify if this is so or not.

The last method is not correct.  I stopped at a shop today and looked at
some loose transmissions.  I was sure I had once seen a T-18 with T-18 on
the cover, but these didn't have it, so I probably had misread a T-19
sometime.  One quick way to distinguish the two is the backup light
switch on the T-18 points straight up, on the T-19 it's at a 45 degree
angle to the side.

Some of the T-19's have a small plate under one of the cover bolts and
this shop had one that they knew was from a wide ratio set aside.  It has
the IH part number of 464420C91 and 13-09-026 (which I think is the
Warner Gear number for something, perhaps the plate itself) on it.  But
not all the T-19's that I saw had this plate.  I see that that is the
service number for the complete transmission (vs. 464421C91 for the close
ratio) so perhaps that plate was only put on service transmissions so
they could be readily identified.  Often, the part number used on the
production line was different, even if the part was identical due to
purchasing contracts and the like.

In summary, there are a few clues, but I still have no way to distinguish
a wide ratio from a close ratio transmission just by looking at it.

Incidentally, I was able to check on usage of the two for 75 thru 77;the
distribution was 40/60% wide ratios/close ratios so there should be wide
ratios out there if that's what you're looking for.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts