engine repair, carbs, gas info etc.

Happy Holidays everyone,

I have a few observations on recently discussed topics.  A great way to
learn how to repair engines is to buy a cheap beater motorcycle and a good
standard motorcycle repair book.  The engines are considerably easier to
work on and you don't need things like lifts, engine jacks etc.  I have a
'76 Honda 550-4 that just begs to be fiddled with.  At least you can pop
open the case and see what the internals of an engine look like.  It is
good to have a motorcycle to counterbalance the gas mileage of the scout
also.

I have a similar problem that Luke has with his traveller (travelall?)  If
I try to pull out in traffic like I was driving my girlfriend's '95 VW
Cabrio it will hesitate and buck like crazy.  It seems to be ok once it is
_completely_ warmed up.  In my case I am sure it is the carb, either the
choke is not pulling off completely or it is just junked up.  I am just
waiting for the Spring to do the rebuild.  We don't get Montana/Calgary
temps here in NH, but 10 degrees does make on-engine fine tuning a bear.

I found a website that has more information than you would ever want to
know about gasoline.  Most of it is pretty specific, but there have been
some threads on emissions and this site has the answers.  Anyway, if you
are interested:    http://www.paranoia.com/~filipg/HTML/AUTO/F_Gasoline.html

In answer to the left-leaning scout, I replaced my body mounts and cab
supports and it still leans to the left.  I imagine it must be the tired
springs.  The mounts helped a little.  I used to drive the scout like my
motorcycle on left hand turns.

I think  age is irrelevant to IH ownership/repair.
It should be calculated by how long you have owned an IH vehicle of any
type.  Granted, I would only be 8 months old, but I am a fast learner.

Have a safe and happy holiday of your choice.

Bill Wisser
'75 Scout II