Re: One Point Turnaround (O.P.T.)

    John> Here is a question to spark some stories and responses.  How
    John> do you define a One Point Turnaround?  What is your best OPT
    John> story?

Flying down a dirt road behind a buddy in a '57 Ford truck.  Right
before the a river, I spun and stopped, and he flew across the river
and buried the bumper a good 6 inches in the mud on the far side.
Not exactly a OPT, since I didn't keep going. . .

    John> My definition is You put the happy peddle down to the one
    John> point on the floor where it doesnt go anymore and crank the
    John> wheel!! Dukes of Hazzard style....Yee Haa

Actually, I've found that they happen easier if you lift off the gas
peddle at speed and crank the wheel.  The weight transfer to the front
wheels gives them outstanding grip, while unweighting the rear wheels,
and providing the rear wheels with some braking action from the engine
to help break them lose.  The trick is knowing exactly when to punch
the gas to stop the rotation and resume forward motion.  I've done
them inadvertently a number of times on the autocross course in the
Miata, and the lift and crank always works.  Those Dukes sure must
practice a lot - I never get exactly 180 degrees ;)

--

Steve Grossman                                   	grossman@domain.elided