Re: Tach specs and governors?

    Tom> I'm wondering what IH means by "redline".. oviously, my 304
    Tom> can go over 3900rpm.. been there, done that, but what kind of
    Tom> damage have I done?  Or what did I do to it's live perhaps?
    Tom> *shrug*

Over-revving usually has two negative consequenses, if any at all.
Either the con-rods come loose from the crank and punch a hole in the
side of the block, or the valves "float" where the rocker arm pushes
back down before the valve can close, resulting in the valves banging
the top op the piston, if there's not satisfactory clearance.  Of
courrse, other stuff can come apart too, but those are the main ones.
It's usually something in the valve train that gives it up.  I used to
run the 152 in my first Scout (a '64) up to what the cheap-o tach I
put in registered as 6k.  I came from driving a Fiat with a 7500 RPM
redline, and didn't know better.  The engine never came apart.
Needless to say, I don't recommend treating any engine this way.

So, just what does IH mean with their "redline"?  Could be where the
torque and horsepower drop off so significantly that there's no use in
revving the motor above that point.

So much for suppositions and stories - anybody know the facts . . .

--

Steve Grossman                                   	grossman@domain.elided