Re: Tach specs and governors?

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

>      OK everyone, here is a good question.
>
>      The 345 redlines at 3800/3900 right?  But, there's no governor in
>      it, right?  No those weren't the question really.  It's next.

Actually, it's supposed to be governed at 3800rpm, too.  The 304 has a
3900rpm redline, but it is NOT governed (and I've tested this theory)

I'm wondering what IH means by "redline".. oviously, my 304 can go over
3900rpm.. been there, done that, but what kind of damage have I done?  Or
what did I do to it's live perhaps?  *shrug*

So.. we've already determined that I should run in the 2200rpm range on
the highway for max economy (2200rpm is just above the start of the max
torque curve).. but how long would everyone else feel comfortable running
their 304 at 3900rpm (or your IH V8 at it's rated top end)?

Could I run my 304 all day at 3900rpm without any fear?  3000rpm seems to
be OK by most people standards for a V8.. 4000rpm is OK for a 4cyl
usually.. but..

What do they really mean??

-Tom