Tach specs and governors?

     OK everyone, here is a good question.

     The 345 redlines at 3800/3900 right?  But, there's no governor in
     it, right?  No those weren't the question really.  It's next.

     My 392 is 'supposed' to be governed at 3600rpm.  Well now
     how-d-hell do they do it?

     Is there a tach sensor that is in the elec ign. circuit somewhere?
     If so, can I drive a tach with it?
     If not, how-d-hell?

        It seems that when I really get on her (that 392 T'all really
     moves when I want her to) it'll rap out in 1st, shift to second,
     and bog at the top of 2nd, then shift to third and go right on
     running.  I get up to 100 mph far before the bog point in 3rd, so
     I'm not sure if it's a gear thing (2nd,or 3rd) or a tach thing,
     (never really rev it out in 1st, broke teeth in the past on other
     cars), or a rev limiter thing.

        Anyone know for sure?  I'd really like to go faster than about
     55 in second gear, with the 3.54s,  It sure does 'feel' like the
     motor wants to go more.

        Thanks to any and all,

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.