Towing with my T'all

     IH all,

        Last weekend I went to Phoenix (300 miles rnd trip.) to pick up
     a top for my Scout.  I had a 6'x12' enclosed U-Haul trailer behind
     my T'all.  I had plenty of power with the 392, and the trip was
     smooth and uneventful.

        The interesting things are: that anybody, no matter what car
     they're in, MUST pass you in order to retain his/her
     man/woman-hood.  I had people pass me in overloaded pickups going
     close to 90 mph to get around me only to be hosed by the Highway
     Patrol 5 miles later.  I even had a guy in a toyota pickup, towing
     another toyota pickup pass me.  Didn't matter to me I just kept on
     my safe speed, like cruise control, and eventually I saw them all
     either turn off to go eat, or get busted by officer friendly.  4
     people got stopped after flying by me.  Also saw a Chevy Van with,
     yes, sparks shooting out under the motor.  Hmmmm.

        The other funny thing is that since they all HAVE to pass you,
     it seems like the little f@^d escorts don't think about:

     a) the 7000 lb. Travelall loaded for bear with tools, etc.
     b) the trailer itself prolly weighs more than the car they're in.

        Why is it that everyone has to get back into the lane after
     passing, like 3 feet in front of me?  Guess they want to eat my
     bumper is all.

        The other goodie here, is that I get about 9.5 mpg around town
     and travelling on the road without a trailer.  Now this is good, I
     got 11.5 WITH the trailer!  I couldn't believe it myself.  Miss
     that trailer,as I filled up today, took 35 gals to fill both tanks.
     $40.  bummer, another week of work using up gas.

        Just had to vent with all the talk about towing.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.