Re: amc 258 manifolds

> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:28:52 -0500
> From: "Shubin, Pete" <PShubin@domain.elided>
> Subject: RE: ihc-digest V5 #61
>
> Yes the jeep 258 intake and exhaust manifolds are the
>  same as the Scout II 258 manifolds.  The Scout versions
>  are AMC parts.  If your Scout does not have a smog
> pump good luck finding the correct manifolds.  The intake
> and exhaust manifolds that are set up for air injection and
> all the other smog junk will work.  You just have to plug the
> holes.  I used plumbing fittings to fill my air injection holes.
> I believe that some of the Jeep 258s came with 2bbl carbs
> and as a result different intake manifolds.  I can not however
> confirm this.  Sounds like a good time to switch over to
> headers.  I believe Summit offers them for the AMC 258 for
> about $140.00 or so.  I believe Spencer Lewis (on the Digest)
> runs a 258 with headers.  He might also have a 2bbl carb.
> He could probably better address this issue.

ok, clifford offers manifolds, headers, cams, etc. and they are the only
company that i could find that actually lists a scout application.  i
would imagine that any 258 headers would work though.  the clifford design
are tow piece so your exhaust would need some work.  as far as intake
manifolds go i was talking to jeff ismail of ih only and his brother runs
a 258 in his scout with a two barrel intake, headers, mild cam, etc. and
gets upwards of 18 miles to the gallon with a lot more power over stock.
back to the headers, i have had mine for 3 years now without any
significant problems except the collector gaskets blowing out now and
again and this usually occurs after a break the drivers side motor mount
when i am wheelin hard.  hope this helps ya out.  good luck

spencer