Re: more questions

>O.K. Thank you to all who responded to my previous post. Now for a few
>more questions.
>   1. I don't know anything about manual transmitions. Any hints, tips,
>heads-ups... whould be appreciated.

If you give it some gas, and let off on the clutch halfway, you can get
really good at "slipping" it just right to make those rear tires SMOKE for a
short ways..  :-)

I don't suppose that was what you wanted to know? heh

They're big n' stout.  I have "problems" on both of my 3spd with shifting
quickly.. don't do it!  The big heavy old things just can not be slowed down
/ sped up quick enough by the syncros.. and all you do is grind the tranny,
and/or wear out the syncro cones.

So, provided you don't pretend your Scout is a sports car.. you're in good
shape!

>   2. What axles should I swap into the 72? I have a set (F,R) of 3.54's
>and a set of 3.05's. both have a limited-slip. (I'm not sure which
>type.) I don't plan on using tires bigger than 30's, maybe 31's. I
>think the tranny is a wide ratio? (low first).

Original '72 Tranny?  T18 4spd.  Non-sync 1st gear?  Yep, T18.  This is
actually a close ratio transmission..

But, to put things in perspective:

T15 3spd - 2.997, 1.55, 1.00:1 (1st,2nd,3rd)
T18 4spd (ONLY close ratios installed in Scouts) 4.02, 2.41, 1.41.1.0:1
(1st/2nd/3rd/4th)

Notice that 2nd gear on the T18 is not too much higher than the 1st in the
3spd.  The close ratio transmissions are often confused for the wides.. but,
OTOH, try a wide -T19:

6.32, 3.09, 1.68, 1.0:1

To compare, you could put a 3spd and a close 4spd Scout in low range (Dana
20) and put 'em in a race..  now, add the wide 4spd Scout, in HIGH range
(assuming same gears, same RPM, same tires, etc).

The 3spd Scout will go just a hair faster in 4-lo 1st gear, than the
wide-ratio 4spd Scout.  We have 6:1 vs 6.32:1 x R&P final gearing.
Then the close 4spd in 4-lo, comes in at 8:1, so it's the slowest of the
three.. BUT, put the wide-4spd Scout into 4-lo, and you now have 12.6:1 x R&P!

>   3. Do body parts, fenders, doors, ect. fit all year Scout II? The
>window frame on the 72 is badly rusted and it would be easy to swap the
>whole frame.

IMHO, Yep.  Only differences I can recall are the end-caps.. '79 and '80
('78??) used a plastic housing for the taillight areas, while older Scout
IIs used steel.

>   4. I just put new springs on the 79. Should I swap them onto the 72
>when I do the axles?

Sure.. won't hurt, but it won't hurt to use the existing springs, either.

As for axle gear ratios.. I built a chart
(http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/faq) to help me in determining things like
this..

Here's the important parts:

3.07 gears w/ 29" tires, 70mph @ 2500rpm, 84.3mph @ 3000rpm, 106mph @ 3800rpm.

3.07 w/ 31s = 75mph, 90mph, 114mph.

OTOH, 3.54s
29" = 61mph, 73mph, 92.6mph
31 = 65mph, 78mph, 99mph

I don't know what the speedlimits are like in your neck of the woods, but
taking some of Jim Grammer's advice and combing with Bill Thebert's
wonderful Torque charts...

304V8 should run (to get just a little over torque peak) around 2000 to
2400rpm (it seems flat right there, but only drops off just a tad at 2800rpm)

So.. low 2000rpm area.. 3.07s seem to fit the bill, though they might be on
the tall side.. while 3.54s also work, but might be a little on the low side.

So.. if you don't decide to lift or change tire sizes, either one will
work.. do you want a little more umph?  Try the 3.54..  65mph will be around
2700rpm, which still isn't bad.

YMMV,

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 Scout II - 63mph @ 3000rpm w/ 196-4cyl, 4.09 & 29" tires - 95mph MAX
(well beyond redline.. just no more go at that point)
'72 Scout II - when I'm done, 80mph @ 3000rpm, 304V8, 3.73, 33s (it'll go
115mph w/ 3.73 and 29" tires though!)