re: One Point Turnaround (O.P.T.)

I remember a couple of years ago pulling an O.P.T. on some snow.  My 79 Scout
II and I were on our way to National Guard meeting about 0600 one morning.
There was a little snow on the road.  I found out that day that the dana 20
would remove itself from 4hi and back into 2hi somewhat suddenly and without
sounds.  As I was making my way up a slight grade at around 45 mph I noticed
my headlights pointed more the side of the road than straight ahead. In an
instant the scout nosed to the shoulder where there was a lot more snow.  I
was now blinded, but when I could see again I was headed down the road the
same way I was before.  We did a complete 360.  I still can't believe it
didn't roll.  The front tire and come off the rim enough to allow gravel into
the tire and some lodged between the rim and the tire which caused a slow air
leak.

Greg Marshall