Re:Auto Transmission

On Sat, 13 Dec 1997 13:54:01 -0500 J MICHAEL SHAW II
<103253.3336@domain.elided> writes:
>what am I looking for to determine what tranny I have in my 1973 Scout
II?
>I've got the 345 with an automatic and the dash knob 4-wheel drive
engage
>system, and was curious about the tranny as far as future modifications
are
>concerned.  What VIN digit determines this, or is there a plate on the
>transmission itself that I can find?

If it's really a 73, you should have the Chrysler A727 automatic.  The
Borg Warner Model 11 was used through 72.  With the knob-on-the-dash
shifter, you have the single speed chain drive transfer case.  The only
thing in the VIN that will help you determine the components is the the
complete VIN that you could use to order a copy of the line set ticket.
The VIN itself doesn't indicate specific components, except for there
being different model codes to indicate diesel models and since there was
only one diesel engine available at a time, you can tell the diesel
engine.

>Also, I'm going next week to look at a right-hand drive Scout ('67, I
>think) with an auto and AC.  Anything I should check out in particular
>on this?  I'm pretty sure it has the four-cylinder though which one I
>don't know.  In my ignorance, I didn't even realize IH made a Scout auto

>back then.  Any problems I should know about?

In 1967, IH built 6,745 right hand drive Scout 800's for the US Post
Office, which had the first automatic transmissions put into the Scout.
This was a Borg Warner Model 11and it then became available as an option
in the 800A.  The engine should be a 4-196 as this replaced the 4-152 in
1966.  The AC should be an add-on as IH did not factory install this in
any 800's and particularly not those for the Post Office

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts