ihc-digest V5 #65

Okay, fellow Digesters, I have a few questions.  First, in the discussion
of the AMC engine switch, someone mentioned that a manual transmission
equipped engine would not work with an auto; is this for the AMC models, or
for International, or what.  I'm trying to find a 304/345 for my '68 T'all,
and my mechanic has simply said to find one, not to worry about it.  Is
there anything I need to know?  Also, any of you guys have an old 345/304
that is in okay running condition that you would part with?  And if so, I
would need to have it shipped to NM, or need for it to be close enough to
there that I could pick it up without too much trouble.  I live in the San
Francisco Bay Area, but used to live in Taos, NM, and have a mechanic there
that is helping me with this project.  BTW, if anyone in that area ever
needs help, Jesse Osborn is one Hell of a mechanic, and he mainly works on
IH's.  He lives out in the desert in a self-built cabin, has no electricity
or water, and thus no bills, and therefore, doesn't care much about money.
He has done some great work for me at less than half of what I've always
heard of other people getting anything done.  I f you get to Taos, just ask
around at the parts stores and someone can give you directions.  Also, what
am I looking for to determine what tranny I have in my 1973 Scout II?  I've
got the 345 with an automatic and the dash knob 4-wheel drive engage
system, and was curious about the tranny as far as future modifications are
concerned.  What VIN digit determines this, or is there a plate on the
transmission itself that I can find?
Also, I'm going next week to look at a right-hand drive Scout ('67, I
think) with an auto and AC.  Anything I should check out in particular on
this?  I'm pretty sure it has the four-cylinder though which one I don't
know.  In my ignorance, I didn't even realize IH made a Scout auto back
then.  Any problems I should know about?
Lastly, does anyone want to part with an IH of some sort in a trade for a
1966 Dodge in good condition?  I just don't want to go to the trouble of
selling and hunting and buying.  I am a lazy person!  This is a '66 Dodge
Monaco with a 383, 96,000 original miles, with it's only problems being a
couple of small tears in the driver's side front seat, and a small dent (2"
x 3", about 1/4"deep) in the rear driver's side door, and the trim is off
of that rear side.  I have the trim, but have never gotten around to
putting it on.  It was a one-owner vehicle when I got it a little over a
year ago, and has lived in the bay area it's whole life-no rust,etc.  It
still has the original hubcaps, which had glass centers over the old
triangle Dodge trademark.  All four still have the glass in them.  One guy
offered me $250 for one of the caps once, but I thought I was going to
completely restore it and needed it.  Now, between my T'all, my Scout II,
and my two '81Police Kawasaki's that I'm cleaning up, the dodge has become
a daily driver that I'm not taking very good care of.  It would be an EASY
project to bring back to original condition, but I'm deep in the throes of
"IH Passion" and feel I'm letting this sweetheart go to waste.  If anyone
is interested, please let me know.
Sorry to ramble, and thanks for any advice/leads.
Oh!!!  Almost forgot!!!  Does anyone know of any IH parts places that do
take American Express?  I am constantly in need, but prefer using tha AMEX
to VISA (rewards points-and not dragging things out and paying that stupid
interest!).  Everyplace I call seems to be a VISA place only.  If anyone
knows of any AMEX-friendly places, please let me know!
Thanks!

J.M. Shaw, II

1968 T'all
1973 Scout II