Need alternator advice

OK, hope some of you guys have your ears on on a Saturday afternoon-

My Scout wouldn't start yesterday morning- dead battery.  OK, charge it up,
get it to the shop, get it checked out.  There were only 12.2 or so volts
to the battery with it idling.  Not good!  I pulled the alt., took it to
Autozone, and had it checked.  Putting out 14.4 volts, no problems at all
detected.  OK, the belts were really worn and a little loose.  Maybe they
were slipping.  Need new belts anyway, take them and put them on, clean the
contacts on the alternator, use dielectric grease, put everything back
together- and it's still not charging.  Took it to Autozone and put their
roll around charging system checker on it.  This guy actually looks like he
knows what he's doing!!  Anyway, the machine suggests checking the
"alternator wire."  Which one would that be?  For .99¢ I bought the little
pigtail that plugs into the regulator (the old one was not in good shape)
and will go and splice it in, but is this what any of you would consider to
be the alternator wire?

TIA,

Paul Brakefield
"Dirtball"

1966 IHC Scout 800- "The Beast"       1972 Scout II              1990
Daihatsu Rocky
     Chevy 350/SM465/Dana20           345/727/Dana20          <Badder than
you think>
        <Springover with 33s>          <I'm workin' on it!>

IHC Mailing List
Southern Scouts
Georgia Bounty Runners
Southern Four Wheel Drive Association