Re: T-alls/Travelers

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:31:10 -0800 Jim Grammer <jimg@domain.elided> writes:
>>What's the difference between a traveler and a travelall.  I gather
>that one came after the other.  Other than that...
>
>>Here's my stab...
>>
>>The Travelall dates back to.. gosh, I don't know.. pre 60?  Large,
>Suburban like station wagon, similar platform to the pickups.
>>
>>Traveler is based on the Scout II chassis stretched 18", introduced
>in 1976.
>
>Earliest known actual Travelall models were built on the L-series
>chassis, but never cataloged as an L model. The R-series introduction in
'53
>included the T-all, as well as the first official factory All Wheel
Drives.
>Prior to that, there were panel bodies modified as crew carriers, and
>woody wagons. Remember that the 'station wagon' started out as literally

>that; a way to get passengers and their luggage to and from the train
station.

>Starting in '53, the Travelall could be had as the body selection for
>pretty much any of the light line chassis with the correct wheelbase.
>Want a 1 1/2 ton 4x4 station wagon? No problem. This continued through
the
>60's and into the early 70's. Sometime in the early 70's I think an
attempt
>was made to standardize the offering somewhat and reduce the huge # of
>possibilities. Of course these is the same era of very complex smog
>gear and options like air ride and mechanical ABS, so I doubt much
>simplifying could be done. The T-all went the way of the rest of the
light trucks
>in '75. It had arguably the strongest following of any of the light line

>besides the Scout(the travel trailer crowd), and I think IH realized
>there was still a market for it. That and the lack of any decent sized
>pickup bodied truck probably led to development of the Terra/Traveler.

Pretty close.  I don't believe there were any Travelalls heavier than the
3/4T models as an advertised model, although I'm sure there were orders
for them with the 1 Ton axles, etc.  There was a 1310 1-Ton model
Travelall that was used as a basis for the Stageway 8- and 10-door
Airporter LImousines and it won't surprise me if someone out there comes
up with a Travelall built on the 1310 chassis, but I don't expect to hear
of a 1510 1 1/2 Ton T/A.

The Terra/Traveler were definitely an attempt to keep IH in the pickup
and wagon market after the demise of the Light Line.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts