Re: Durabak?

Tom Mandera wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Mike Bucher wrote:
>
>> What is Durabak?

From the respective descriptions I have heard, Durabak is quite
different from Lava Liner. When I discussed it with the guy who sells it
in CO, he said he had abused it heavily, "spinning tractor tire with
chains" if I remember correctly, and it stood up. Lava Liner from
descriptions I've heard here is goopier and never gets really hard.

>I didn't know Lava Liner was DIY.. I've only heard of it being
>professionally applied.  I'm still looking into Rhino Linings, which
>like much better, but at $500 or $600 for my Scout II's body tub..
>that'll have to wait for it's NEXT re-build
>(in another 25 years or so..
>they'll probably have something better by then)

I'm looking at Line-X - it is applied as a hot fine spray that quickly
dries more firmly than Rhino, without the toxic chemicals. That appeals
to me since myself, the S.O., the dogs, and (hopefully soon) the yaks
will be sitting, laying on it, etc. I got a an excellent lengthy tech
comparison from Brooks Laster at Line-X. Anyone interested can email me.
BTW, the Mendicino County Line-X guy said to use DPG-40 as the prep
primer. For my "el nino-mobile" (will never have a top on it), I was
going to use Line-X in the passenger areas and Durabak on the hidden and
underbody parts.

Rob Kasper
79 Scout II 392, mystery PS fluid leak
79 Scout II 345 el nino-mobile
74 T-All If I win the Lotto: Line-X the whole damn thing in & out!
74 PickUp 392 5-speed, 3 fuel tanks *and* propane and I still can't
              figure out how to get gas to the engine.