Suggestions Needed - Dana 20 Rebuild

jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)  asked about rebuilding
the Dana 20.

I rebuilt a Dana 20 Jeep transfer case many years ago.  I
did not have a press or gear pullers, and I was able to
dismantle and reassemble the transfer case.  I bought a
whole seal/gasket kit for my Scout D300 for about $30 or so.
I do need to get a bearing separator to pull the bearings on
the D300.  I have a press.  (Harbor Freight has a nice 12
ton press for about $100.  ...no shipping charges either.
...a worthy investment.  You can borrow gear pullers at the
parts store.  I haven't seen any bearing separators for
loan.  Anyways, I'd dismantle the case if I were you and
inspect everything.  Look at all the bearings and races and
be sure they are nice and smooth.  The intermediate gear
rides directly on needle bearings directly on a shaft.  Be
sure there is no wear on either part.  If you can feel a
ridge, you ought to replace the part.  I believe there is a
kit available to allow you to machine your intermediate gear
and shaft if it's worn, and use a pair of roller bearings
and races to fix it.  I think the gear and shaft would set
you back a pretty penny if you were to replace them.  I
wouldn't allow any but the very slightest wear in the parts.
If you can feel a ridge, you should replace it.  The rest of
the bearings are rollers/races.  The case is very easy to
rebuild.  Also carefully check the splines on the output
shafts.  Some wear on the drive gear where it meshes with
the 4wd high slider can be tolerated.  ...quite a bit of
wear actually.

Your case sounds like it's in good shape.  If you have no
bearing noises, and it isn't hopping out of gear, then you
should be fine with a seal kit.  Be sure to pay special
attention to the front output bearing.  This one sits in the
same spot a lot and can get marks from the bearings being
stationary on the race if moisture gets to it.  Some
backlash is inherent in any gear system.

Doug