RE: Just a few more questions

Paul,

My speedo didn't work on my 65 model 80 either when I bought
the vehicle. I took the cable out, and found that the end that
bolts into the transfer case was fine, but the end that bolts
into the back of the speedo was trashed. There is a fitting
that crimps onto the cable, and then slides into a sleeve on
the back of the speedo. When the cable turns, it turns that
fitting, which in turn turns the sleeve (or something in the
sleeve) which controls the needle. My fitting has come
'uncrimped' from the cable. Rather than try to make that one
work, I bought a rebuild kit from Kragen Auto Parts for $6
and put it together. All you do is measure the length of your
existing cable, cut the new one to match, and crimp the new
fitting onto the end. They even give you a hokey little crimp
tool. Works like new now....

Good Luck,

John Townley
San Diego, CA