800 lifts

Sean, I can empathize, someone posted a source a while back, somewhere in
the NW it seems, I was about to ask for a reposting since I too am
interested but didn't save the post with the info.

In the meanwhile, I'll revisit my efforts to lift my daughter's 1970 model 800.

>Hello IH'ers,
>
>I've called all the major IH shops and asked them about lifts for my 800. They
>either only have lifts for scoutII's or I quess a couple of places had a
>partial
>kit that gave 3" of lift. The one thing they all stated was that using an
>early model CJ5 lift was an option.
>
>Does this work? I've heard it doesn't fit and the springs are too soft?
>Has anyone out there done this?  If you have I would like to know the +'s/-'s
>of doing this.  Has anyone converted a lift kit from another vehicle?

Yes it is an option, in fact it was the only one presented to me by GUS,
short of cu$tom springs, but not without work, I started with this approach
after rearching the original springs proved to be unsatisfactory. In short
the rears from an early (pre76) CJ will bolt in directly, the fronts are to
short eye to eye by about 1/2 inch. The advice i got from a couple places
was to move both spring hangers 3/4". That seemed like a wonderfull
opportunity for error so I opted to take the front springs to a spring
company and get new mains made that matched the arch in the rest of the
spring pack, I think I asked that they add a second leaf as well to support
the main. They were supposed to match the arch and rate of the rest of the
pack. When finished I installed them and now had about a 4-5 inch rake to
the rear in the vehicle! So rearch the rears to level right? well that
resulted in the rear mains being to short and the shackle wanting to move
the wrong way, sooo another set of new mains and seconds to level it. We
ended up level, we ended up lifted and we retained the springs under the
axel, unfortunately my 240# on the end of the tailgate barely deflects the
springs, the rate is excessive => poor articulation. I may try removing
leaves to get the suspension to work, or try a new kit, if I figure out who
has it. I'm sure that a good spring shop (my only options do 90+% of their
work on dump trucks and motorhomes that need more capacity) could use a CJ
kit and give you what you need, I wouldn't start with a softride kit
though, give the weight difference.

>My goal is to run 33's with decent articulation.  I don't think a lift of 3"
>would do this.  I'm thinking I need at least 4" to 4.5" Am I wrong?  I don't
>have access to a welder and can't afford to pay someone for the labor of a
>springover.

Our total lift is hard to figure, it went up about 6" over the sagged out
rearch that was up some over the sagged out stock, 31s look to small but
I'm not sure 33s will clear under full stuff(if we could get to full
stuff), at least 12.5 x 33s. SO is an option, but can give as many problems
as it cures (IMHO). I have seen them work really well in Jeeps, but in
every case the spring wrap in the rear has been an ongoing quest for a cure.

>Are there any good alternatives? Rebending stock springs?  Using add-a-leafs
>with maybe 2" shackles? I would really appreciate any tips/advice you guys
>have.
>I'm really in a hurry to get this figured out since the snow is coming!

Whomever posted the info Tom alluded to could steer us to a possible
solution, I would not suggest a rearch of the stock springs, I personally
don't like add-a-leafs, you end up with one leaf with a much higher rate
than the rest, in effect forcing the rest to it's arch. I've used them
before, especially on the rear of pickups, and had them break in two. I
still think they are better than blocks, but not much. Be careful with
extended shackles, we went slightly longer (Confer early jeep, shortest
over stock) but I would be hesitant to go to much longer because of the
additional leverage on the almost 30 year old shacle mounts.

>dazed and confused in Montana,
>sean
I hear it's already winter there, my daughter is going to school in Bozeman
and maintains winter is full on! do you mean MORE snow? : )

Good luck!