lift & drivelines

>Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:30:03 -0700
>From: "Abrusci, Mike (NM75)" <mike.abrusci@domain.elided>
>Subject: lift & drivelines
>
>I did Jim's reverse shackle and a 4" softride and got the weight on it
>last night. The measurement between the axle tube and the frame above is
>12 1/4". I visually lined up the driveline and tried to spin it and the
>u-joints bound. I was hoping that there was someone out there who has
>done a reverse Shackle and a 4" lift that could help. I may want to get
>the 2" softride instead, so if anyone has done this with the reverse
>shackle let me know how to level the rear and what you did with the
>driveline in the front.

>Thanks, mike

Mike,
  Sounds like you have too much lift for the stock driveline setup.  The
common way to correct this is to "twist the front axle" to improve the
driveline angles, and add CV joints to eliminate driveshaft vibration.
There are instructions on Jim Weeds page on how to twist the front axle.
Of course you also need longer driveshafts and probably longer driveshaft
slip joints.  You could also grind the transfer case and pinion yokes to
get enough clearance for the driveshaft to turn.  You'll have to grind off
a lot to make sure the driveshaft can turn with the axle at full drop.  If
you do this keep a close eye on the u joints as they won't last as long at
such a sharp angle.  Going to the 2" springs would help a lot.

  If the rear end is sitting lower than the front you could use longer rear
shackles (with shims to correct the driveline angle).  Scout Madness and a
few other places have them.  The only other option I can think of is to
lower the front.  Maybe use the 2 inch springs in the front with the 4 inch
springs in the rear depending on how much difference there is.  You may
have to install longer front shackles (with shims if necessary) if you went
this route.  But they wouldn't have to be as long the rear shackles would.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs