Re: E30 Power Steering System Flush

SEBRING222@domain.elided wrote:
> What is the best way for me to evacuate the old PS fluid out
> of the rest of the system?

Jim, I have the following archived from prior posts on the subject. Hope
this helps,
alex f

- --- Bob@domain.elided wrote:
> I couldn't figure out how to drain the system.  I disconnected first one
hose
> from the pump, then the other, then both.  Tried with the engine (and
therefore
> the PS pump) turning and without.  Tried sawing the steering wheel from
side to
> side in all the above combinations.  Couldn't get more than a thin
trickle from
> either hose, and the fluid level never dropped significantly in the
reservoir.
> What's the trick?  Where's the right place to open the circuit?

I did it by disconnecting the return hose going into the reservoir.  I
first took off the reservoir and cleaned it out good attempting to back
flush it some (as it has a small metal screen filter in it IIRC).
Reconnected the feed line and with a catch pan in place for the return
line, I was able to feed in fresh fluid through the reservoir with the old
stuff pumping through the return line into the catch plan.simultaneouslye
simulatenously while moving the steering from lock-to-lock with the motor
idling (in order to run the power steering pump).  Be careful not to let
the reservoir go dry, the pump isn't fond of pumping air and you will have
lots of groaning and moaning from the pump/rack if you get air into the
system until it can work its way out (bring on the funny comments).  The
fluid flows pretty quickly through the pump too so it doesn't take too
long to feed a quart through the system.

I believe others have done it by pulling one of the lines on the rack.  I
didn't do it this way and I am not sure what the proper method is doing it
that way.

Regards,

Rich