Jack points on a 95 M3

I read an article in the latest Roundel on DIY brake jobs. The article
starts out by saying all BMWs can be raised at the front and rear suspension
carriers. The article continued to state that you can support the rear of
the car by placing jack stands under the rear suspension carrier.

Some one told me not to raise my car by the suspension carrier since it is
made of aluminum and may bend. I was also curious where people placed their
jack stands. Unless I'm looking at the wrong part, the rear suspension
carrier isn't very wide, and  I'd feel safer placing the jack stands nearer
to the sides of the vehicle.

Any input from some one who's done this before would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete