Re: Oo-ooh, that smell! Fumes in passenger compartment from????

Tom, Alex,

The statement below is actually not correct.  My 89 635 (E24) is the same
functionally as the 88 528 (E28) in that the center horizontal slide lever
*is* exclusively for outside air.  The top and bottom levers are for the
defroster and the floor vents, respectively, and both are sensitive to the
heater thermostat.  The center lever is not sensitive to the heater.

Our 318is (E30) does not behave the same way and does behave like described
below.  There is a button for fresh versus recycled air next to the air
conditioning button.  The center lever in the E30 *is* sensitive to the
heater thermostat just as the defrost and floor levers are sensitive to it.

Now as to the smell, having ridden in these cars since the early '80s, I
must say that the heater *always* produced a smell that has some sort of
burnt *something* to it - especially when turned to that hottest setting.
But, if the smell is increasing or is truly distinct like that of burning
oil, then I'd lift the hood when the car is warmed up and start looking for
the source of the smell.  If it smells more like burning antifreeze then
there are two possibilities - a fluid leak under the hood (i.e., radiator,
  hoses, etc.) or the heater core (or tubing) that is under the dash.  That
last one is the most difficult to repair obviously.  But, if it is "burning"
  of coolant, then that should be obvious because the cooling system will
always be needing to be topped off.  How do I know that?  BTDT just
recently with a leaking water pump on the 635.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but without smelling the strength of the
smell I can't compare it to our cars.

Kevin
GGC BMWCCA