Re: Oo-ooh, that smell! Fumes in passenger compartment from????

Tom,
First of all, the horizontal (<= E30) HVAC controls have no effect on the
air intake. The merely direct the air to different air vents inside the
car.
Fresh/mostly recycled air is selected with the square yellowish switch next
to the AC button.
What you smell with the heater on is most likely the coolant leaking and
evaporating on the heater core. To stop the leak you will most likely have
to replace the heater core or whatever part is leaking coolant.

good luck,
alex f

                    "Tom Borden"
                    <teborden2@ne        To:     <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
                    tzero.net>           cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Oo-ooh, that smell!  Fumes in passenger compartment from????
                    owner-bmw@dig
                    est.net

                    11/19/01
                    01:59 PM

Help, drivers of older Beemers!

I've got a 1988 528e... my air controls are three horizontal sliding knobs
located center console, the middle one of which seems to be the one for
fresh
air from outside.

Beginning last winter, whenever heater is on (okay, and maybe blower) and
external air feed is closed, I get a faint smell of... burning oil... or is
it
burning antifreeze?  Can't quite tell, but it's back this season and it
becomes strong enough that I am compelled to open the exterior air feed or
crack windows.

Today, I opened the external vent and put blower on full blast and heat up
and
can't really detect smell.  But it's there when I cut the external air.
Any
idea what I'm dealing with?

Many thanks!

Tom Borden