Re: Computer and radio problems

Richard,

You discovered why BMW puts the Anti-Theft feature into their radios.
Unless you know the code, the radio is unusable.

You should have been given the code for your radio when you purchased the
car.  If you no longer have it, you'll need to provide your VIN to a dealer
(and probably show proof of ownership), and they'll be able to obtain the
radio code from a database.

Note that if your car is no longer equipped with the original radio, you're
probably screwed.

As far as resetting the Check Engine light...I don't know if OBDII cars will
reset the light automatically if the fault clears and stays cleared.  The
OBDI cars (pre -1996) will do this.

You should read the OBDII code(s) to see what tripped the light, in order to
verify what the fault is.

If you KNOW that the cause of the fault has been cleared, wait a little
while and see if the Check Engine light clears by itself.  I believe that
the OBDI cars will shut off the Check Engine light if the fault has been
cleared for TEN starts of the engine.  I don't know if the same thing
applies to OBDII.

- -rb