Computer and radio problems

Please help me, no radio is killing me!    I have a 96 328iS and the
"check engine light" came on.  Since this has happened before and the
dealer said it was just a gas cap and reset it a month or more ago, I
thought why not just reset the puter by turning off the battery.  I did
and of course the light didn't go off but WORSE the radio said enter
code and I entered a bunch of numbers not knowing the code (The dealer
told me this would happen but I would just lose my station presets) But
now all I get on my radio is "CODE WAIT".  What is up with that and can
anyone tell me most importantly how to get the radio working and also
how to reset the "check engine light"????   Thanks so much!