Re: 8 series

Eric,

The 750 and 850 share the same engine, as well as the same engine management
system.  They are BOTH more complex than engines and management systems on
lesser (6-cylinder) BMWs. But, nonetheless, any BMW x50 model (750, 850) are
equal in terms of engines and engine management.  It's just that more 750s
were sold than 850s, so there's more experience with the 750.

As far as cars go, the 850 had the most complex electronic systems (chassis
electronics) ever put into a BMW (at that time), and we all know how
electrical gremlins pop up over time, so maintaining the chassis electronics
systems on an 850 will ultimately cost more than maintaining the chassis
electronics systems on other BMWs.

The 840, being a "lesser" car than the 850, may have not had as many
electronic enhancements, so in terms of chassis electronics, it may be a
more reliable car.

- -rb