Re: 8 series

Ron wrote:

>The 750 and 850 share the same engine, as well as the same engine
> >management system.  They are BOTH more complex than engines and
> >management systems on lesser (6-cylinder) BMWs. But, nonetheless, any
> >BMW x50 model (750, 850) are equal in terms of engines and engine
> >management.  It's just that more 750s were sold than 850s, so there's
> >more experience with the 750.
>
>As far as cars go, the 850 had the most complex electronic systems
>(chassis electronics) ever put into a BMW (at that time), and we all >know
>how electrical gremlins pop up over time, so maintaining the >chassis
>electronics systems on an 850 will ultimately cost more than >maintaining
>the chassis electronics systems on other BMWs.
>
>The 840, being a "lesser" car than the 850, may have not had as many
>electronic enhancements, so in terms of chassis electronics, it may be >a
>more reliable car.

Nothing personal, but I guess it's because I'm getting older, as I find
myself losing tolerance for the seemingly unlimited capacity of the
uninformed to give opinions about that which they know nothing.  As I
explained at length to Eric in a private email, the SOHC two-valve V-12
engine in these cars is actually a relatively simple design, compared to the
DOHC V-8 in the 840, not to mention the VANOS six cylinders in a multitude
of 3 and 5 series cars.  As a matter of fact, the V-12 design is based upon
the 2.5 litre six found in the 325e.  Also, the electronics in these cars
were state of the art at the time, but pale in comparison to todays models
(have you even looked at what's coming in the next generation 7 series this
fall?).  Finally, the only differences between the 850 and 840 were the
engine, wood trim, and standard CD player and phone, so what makes it a more
reliable car? Maybe it's the wood trim?

For INFORMED, accurate information about these cars, I strongly suggest one
should check with the people who own them.  Check the lists at
http://members2.boardhost.com/BMW850 and http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/e31/
instead of listening to, or worse, passing on, secondhand nonsense from
people who don't know what they are talking about.

Mike Barrett
BMW CCA 111632
93 850Ci
88 635CSi