Re: Subject: this list

>On Sun, 02 Sep 2001 "Eric M. Hunt"
>bmw1@domain.elided said:

> Subject: Re: Subject: this list
>
> Dear Shemp,
>
> It was never my intent to put down the BMW Digest.  I merely wanted to
> make a suggestion and observe everyone's replies.  I'm also aware of the
> work Richard has to put up with and I thank him.  I've been on the for
> quite some time, so there's no need to inform me what he has to go
> through (and yes, I was around when the UUC thing came around and I'm
> still here).
>
> What I meant by "harder to read" is that reading a list of emails is
> harder to read, personally organize, etc. than a web based message
> board.  On a web based system, everything is right in front of you.  If
> you want to see examples, there are thousands all over the web (all with
> their pros and cons):
>
> www.bmwe30.net
> http://www.dtmpower.net/forum
>
> to name a few.  I realize there is $$ needed to develop something like
> this.  I would imagine advertisers would rather have their ads in living
> color than in text form on an email list.
>
> I'm glad to see that Richard IS thinking about moving the list onto the
> web.  Let's face it, the web is the future of message systems.  Richard,
> sorry if you took any offense to my posting.  I was just trying to help.

> Oh, and Shemp... you can remove your foot from your mouth now.

Hi Eric,
If any comments I made offended you in any way - that was truly not my
intent, and I apologize if that is the case. In your original post you made
some statements, and asked for opinions on those statements. I gave you
mine, and am again sorry if you didn't like what I said. If much of what you
said here in this follow-up had been said in your original post, my comments
would undoubtedly have been a bit different. This is Richard's project and I
like it just fine the way it is. You pointed out the advantages of a
web-based system, but you didn't mention any of its disadvantages. You
pointed out the disadvantages of this present list-serve format, but didn't
mention any of its advantages. And you seemed to miss extending any
appreciation to Richard for the work he has done. I will revise my previous
post/comments to include suggesting that nothing is stopping you from
spending your own time, money, and effort developing a web-based mail system
or anything else you would like to create. There always needs to be a
"someone to do it."
As far as removing my foot from my mouth... a normal foot might fit there
with some effort and the proper tools, but mine has a gas pedal firmly
attached to it, and I really tried to get it in there, but it only fit
half-way in, and then got stuck. I was scarred to use WD 40 after what I
read here. When you figure out how to get your half out, please let me know
and maybe we can share that technical information for our mutual benefit-
which is one of the things this Digest is supposed to be about...   ;-{l}
Peace,
- -shemp