administrivia: mysterious server outage, film at 11

i don't know why the server was down. i don't know why it picked when
it did to go down.

i left wednesday morning for a brief family outing, returning sunday
night. the server went down sometime wednesday. i didn't find out
until i got home last night; on this trip, i had no internet access
and no cell phone for the duration.

for reasons i cannot explain, these outages only occur when i am out
of contact. probably the fact that, even though i had my laptop with
me, i couldn't get the in room ethernete in the sheraton working had
something to do with it; if i'd been able to log on, the server
probably wouldn't have crashed.

i also don't know why the server was down; the folks at the colo
provider have not told me what they saw when they sat down at it this
morning, and the log files contain nothing to explain the crash at
all. i am going back to work on my plan to replace krusty in its
entirety (the new server is here in my home office). it will have to
share time, however, with the startup i'm trying to get funded, so it
can't be my number one priority; my severance pay from Avaya will run
out in about two months tops, so i need to get the new business going.

sigh,
   richard