Re: E34 unexplained chime

Phil Dupont <araknid@domain.elided> asks:
>Posting for a net impaired, car impaired friend who >recently bought a '95
>525. She has been
>hearing a chime that sounds 3 times, at varying times >of the day, varying
>driving conditions, and
>no indications on the OBC as to what if any problem >there is. No service
>indicator lights
>illuminate either. She called me for advice, but I'm at >a loss myself. I
>didn't run across
>anything in the archives.
>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

This is probably the "Memo" feature. This is a feature of the OBC that beeps
either on the hour or a few minutes before the hour. There's a button on the
OBC marked "MEMO". Pushing it will toggle an indicator in the OBC that looks
kind of like:

.))

If that indicator is on, then the car will beep every hour.

The exact same thing happened to my parents when they borrowed my car.

Greg