Re: <02> Won't run unless starter is engaged

In a message dated 8/21/01 12:24:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< My '75 2002 won't keep running unless the starter is engaged. It dies as
soon
 as I release the key. Wires had been ripped out of the coil and the spark
 plug wires had been yanked with enough force to break the distributer cap. I
 replaced the plug wires and cap and checked /repaired the other wires going
 to the coil. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like the ignition switch may be bad....also, check all grounds.  Also,
a post to the 2002 Message Board may get you some further advice...
http://www.bimmer.org/2002/messages/

HTH,

John Weese
BMW CCA #76646